Can we recompile view in SQL Server?
SQL Server automatically recompiles stored procedures, triggers, and user-defined functions when it is advantageous to do this.
What causes stored procedure to recompile?
There are multiple reasons why a recompilation can occur. A recompile of an execution plan could be due to database level configuration changes, schema changes, index changes, etc.
What does recompile do in SQL Server?
RECOMPILE – specifies that after the query is executed, its query execution plan stored in cache is removed from cache. When the same query is executed again, there will be no existing plan in cache, so the query will have to be recompiled.
How do I recompile a procedure in SQL Server?
To recompile a stored procedure by using sp_recompile
Select New Query, then copy and paste the following example into the query window and click Execute. This does not execute the procedure but it does mark the procedure to be recompiled so that its query plan is updated the next time that the procedure is executed.
Where can I use option recompile?
OPTION(RECOMPILE) tells the server not to cache the pan for given query. This means that another execution of the same query will require to elaborate a new(maybe different) plan. This is used in the queries with parameters to prevent parameter sniffing issue.
How do you refresh a database what are the precautions?
- kill any active connections for the database that we want to restore by putting database in single user mode.
- restore the backup file that was copied.
- put the restored database back to multi user mode.
- change the compatibility of the database if needed.
- change the database owner of the database.
Which command do you use to recompile a procedure?
Alter Procedure is used to recompile a procedure. The ALTER PROCEDURE statement is very similar to the ALTER FUNCTION statement.
What is parameter sniffing in stored procedure?
Parameter Sniffing is the process of looking to the first passed parameters values when compiling the stored procedure in order to create an optimal execution plan that fits these parameters values and use it for all values.
How do you compile a procedure?
Compile one or more procedures, using one of these methods:
- Use the ALTER PROCEDURE or ALTER PACKAGE command to recompile the procedure or the entire package.
- Drop the procedure and create it again.
- Use CREATE OR REPLACE to recompile the procedure.
Why stored procedure is better than query?
every query is submited it will be compiled & then executed. where as stored procedure is compiled when it is submitted for the first time & this compiled content is stored in something called procedure cache,for subsequent calls no compilation,just execution & hence better performance than query.
How do you solve a parameter sniffing?
Workarounds for SQL Server Parameter Sniffing
- Create SQL Server Stored Procedures using the WITH RECOMPILE Option.
- Use the SQL Server Hint OPTION (RECOMPILE)
- Use the SQL Server Hint OPTION (OPTIMIZE FOR)
- Use Dummy Variables on SQL Server Stored Procedures.
- Disable SQL Server Parameter Sniffing at the Instance Level.
What is the use of with recompile statement?
Using WITH RECOMPILE effectively returns us to SQL Server 2000 behaviour, where the entire stored procedure is recompiled on every execution. A better alternative, on SQL Server 2005 and later, is to use the OPTION (RECOMPILE) query hint on just the statement that suffers from the parameter-sniffing problem.